Under pressure: Katie Waissel scared to go out in public after being attacked by fan

By SARA NATHAN and RACHEL QUIGLEY

Feeling the heat: Controversial X Factor contestant Katie Waissel says she is fearing for her safety after being pelted with a banana by a fan earlier this week


X Factor chiefs are facing renewed concerns over the welfare of contestants - after two finalists admitted they were on the verge of cracking up under the strain of the TV hit.

Controversial contestant Katie Waissel claimed that she was scared for her safety after being pelted with fruit by a member of the public this week.

And popular Mary Byrne revealed she had been moved out of the official X Factor house and into a hotel for her own welfare.

Tesco checkout worker Miss Byrne, 50, had given a low key performance last week - and admitted yesterday that she had been overcome with nerves and homesickness, prompting her concerned mentor Louis Walsh to move her.

And after weeks of being targeted by X Factor viewers over her eccentric performances, Miss Waissel revealed that she is scared to go out in public after an angry fan attacked her.

The 24-year-old blonde, from Harefield, Hertfordshire, revealed that a viewer had thrown a banana skin and shouted an obscenity at her when she was out in London for rehearsals.

The former receptionist said she is now terrified of what will happen if she leaves the safety of the X Factor house as she believes the situation could have been a lot worse


Leaving rehearsals: Pictured yesterday with fellow contestants Cher Lloyd (C) and Mary Byrne, who has been moved out of the X Factor house and into a hotel


She said: 'Somebody threw something at me when I was walking around Convent Garden and even though it was only a banana skin it was still horrible.

'I was just grateful it wasn't a fire extinguisher or something because that could have gone horribly wrong.

'It's a really sh***y situation to be honest with you. It's horrible and I'm still trying to keep my head held high but it's one of those things where I hope I can turn it around.

'This is the first time that has ever happened and hopefully it won't happen again because it was awful.’

Miss Waissel, who will sing Saturday's Alright for Fighting tonight, added: ‘'I'm scared when I go out. I don't know what the reaction to me is going to be.


Brave face: Katie was seen throwing away rubbish after eating some fast food following rehearsals


'We've all been out as a group and I do get worried that people are going to say something. It's scary.

'I'm really not a bad person. At the end of the day I am a 24-year-old girl and to be booed publicly for, well, I don't know what for, it hurts. It really hurts.'

The hopeful also revealed that her mentor Cheryl Cole has told her to keep her mouth shut - as she believes she always says the wrong thing.

She said: 'Cheryl has always been amazing and told me to be myself.


Larking around: Earlier in the day the contestants were seen outside Fountain Studios in London wearing wigs


'But 99 per cent of the time I don't think before I speak and I probably come out with the biggest load of cr*p.

'So she keeps telling me to think before I speak because I never do. I think I have got foot in mouth or something.'

Miss Waissel had come under attack for claims she had leaked a story that she had been caught in bed with show favourite Matt Cardle - who is the bookmakers favourite to win the ITV talent show – which she has strenuously denied

But yesterday, it was reported that Mr Cardle, 27, is having an illicit romance with show stylist Grace Woodward, 33 - even though Simon Cowell has banned show romances



VIP: Simon Cowell was pictured arriving to rehearsals earlier today at Fountain Studios in north-west London ahead of today's live show


The couple have been spotted kissing and hugging at the studios, however a spokeswoman said: ‘Matt is very fond of Grace, but I think they are just very good friends.’

Miss Waissel, meanwhile, revealed that all the negative publicity has really hurt her family and friends and said that being in the bottom two three times is just as tough for them as it is for her.

She said: 'I hope things turn around, not just for me but for my family and friends. It's been a battle for them as well.


Brave face: Under fire judge Cheryl Cole leaving rehearsals yesterday evening, joined by her Girls Aloud bandmate Nicola Roberts


'Being in the bottom two is a horrible, horrible situation for everyone. It really is just gut-wrenching.

'But I have no regrets and I don't want to leave. Why would I? I am just trying to turn things around.

'We're a strong family unit but they would never want to see me leave.

'I'm a fighter and a warrior. Let people throw their banana skins at me, but do you know what? I'll hold my head up high and I'll smile.


Helping hand: Dannii Minogue gets some assistance from her mother-in law with adorable son Ethan and her bags


'And I'll say thank you and 'you should have left more banana in it' and maybe a whole banana.

'I'm just going to go out there and sing because there are people out there who are voting for me and believing in me and if I crumble then it doesn't show a strong person and I don't want to crumble for them.'


On song? Matt Cardle reported to be having a romance with X Factor stylist Grace Woodward


The hopefuls spoke out after frail contestant Cher Lloyd, 17, suffered a meltdown last week and fled the contestants house in the middle of the night to go home to her parents.

Mother-of-one Mary, who comes from a rundown suburb of Dublin called Ballyfermot, will tonight perform Can You Feel The Love Tonight, from the musical The Lion King as part of the Elton John-themed week.

She told the Daily Mail: 'Louis was great because I was struggling a bit in the house, I was very tired and last week was a tough week for me. It was just a combination of emotions and stress and missing home.

'So he took me to stay in a really nice hotel for two nights this week so I got well rested and was able to learn my song properly.

‘The problem in the house is that everyone is trying to learn the song so it gets a bit off putting.

‘But I'm ready to go this weekend and my family are coming over to support me so that is going to help massively.'

X Factor chiefs had already come under fire after Shirlena Johnson was axed from the final auditions after they discovered she had mental health issues that she had not disclosed to them.

Last night, a show spokeswoman said: ‘Our main concern, as always, is about the contestants. We have a duty of care towards them and that is our main priory.’


Good sport: Matt yesterday visited his Tottenham Hotspur heroes at a training session, seen here with Peter Crouch



He shoots, he scores: The singer even got a piece of the action at the training ground in Chigwell, Essex







source :dailymail